06 September 2006

koMP1eX P@55w0rdZ

The girlfriend and I had a short discussion about complex passwords. Yes, I know how to create a strong complex password--it's not hard. Her windows password is one such password. I know her password for Facebook and MySpace...and probably her e-mail, but not the power up password for her computer. So anyway, she gave me a hack for disabling the admin account and renaming it on windows XP. I tried it..but the hack was for XP professional. I did, however, create an excellent complex password. The problem: when I woke up this morning, I couldn't remember the symbols I'd used. So I spent two hours surfing the net trying to figure out how to hack into my own computer. I downloaded a lot of programs but couldn't make my computer boot on the CD's I burned. I finally restarted in Safe Mode using the default admin account, clicked Start, then Run, and typed control userpasswords2. It let me reset my password. Now it's much easier to remember, and still just as complex. If it wasn't a secret, the girlfriend would love it. :D So the lesson to be learned from this is: If you're going to create a complex password, make a password disk, or write it down...or for God's sake, don't make the damn thing so hard to remember!

No comments: