03 October 2006

Peppermint Patty: In love with androgeny

A friend of mine, Marcy, confessed today that her first real crush was on a female cartoon character, "but [she] didn't really know if it was a girl or a boy." When I asked who it was, she replied, "Peppermint Patty." I, at my own computer, twenty or so miles away, nearly fell out of my chair laughing. Then I calmly replied, "You had to know her dyke-ass was a girl." She said "NO! I didn't!" So I laughed some more and then nick named her Marcy. She went on to say how androgeny is hot. I agree. I'm a tad androgenous myself--except for my ta-tas. So this entry is a tribute to androgeny.

1. Peppermint Patty: My first tribute is to Peppermint Patty. She had it all. A personal secretary, she got to call Charlie Brown "Chuck." and we never saw or heard her parents. So apparently she lived alone. And what clued me into the dyke factor was her birkenstocks. Now, I am aware that not all lesbians wear birkenstocks. But it's a stereotype and she fit it. All those kids in Charlie Brown town loved Peppermint Patty--especially Marcy (the cartoon character AND my friend) and she rocked the house.

2. Meg Griffin: Now, we all know Meg is a girl. But on just about every episode someone calls her a boy or Peter's son or something. In the movie about Stewie, she had a sex change and became Ron Griffin. (I tried to find a picture but couldn't.) I almost feel sorry for Meg because she can't get a boyfriend...or anything. Even though she has boobs and wears lipstick, people always think shes a boy. The girl can't get a break.







3. Pat from SNL: Have you SEEN the movie? Both Pat and it's partner are androgenous. Pat always says things to make people think it is one specific sex like, in the movie when the neighbor is obsessed with Pat, Pat groans and says "Ohh my nuts..." and the man seems hopeful..and then Pat pulls a hand full of nuts out of its pocket. I have tremendous respect for the woman who plays the character, Pat. She pulls it off so well. Really...what IS Pat?

4. Freddie Mercury (sans mustache):I love Freddie Mercury. I love Queen. But in some of his pictures, I just think, "Damn he looks like a woman!" He was a FABULOUS man...in all senses of the word. He was just sooo pretty. I was at a drag club once and two of the girls did a duet number as David Bowie and Freddie Mercury. It was the BEST performance I have ever seen. I must have tipped them $20 a piece. He holds a special place in my heart because of the song, "Fat Bottomed Girls." We really do make the rockin' world go round!!









5. Velma Dinkley:In some episodes Velma looked perfectly girlish. But in others, like in the episode this picture came from, she looks like a boy. I <3 Velma. Especially in the screen adaptation of Scooby Doo. The woman who plays Velma is so hot (she also plays Sam in ER). Even in Scooby Doo kids, Velma looked iffy. I'm tempted to change my desktop to a picture of Velma now. She rocks my socks. For real.





Again, I am NOT dissing androgenous people. I love them. I think it's HOT. Super hot. That's why I like drag performers (both Kings and Queens). Over at www.Dragking.be there is an awesome video of a King doing "Like I Love You" by Justin Timberlake. He does it perfectly. You go boi. So next time you see someone in public or on TV and you're not sure of their gender...but you think the person is hot, sexy, attractive, etc...don't be ashamed. Embrace androgeny!!!! I fully support gender bending.

1 comment:

Savoy Truffle said...

Freddie Mercury's totally on my Men I Would Do If I Were Straight List. Rrrrrr.