04 March 2007

National Self Injury Awareness Day

Approximately 1% of the United States population uses physical self-injury as a way of dealing with overwhelming feelings or situations, often using it to speak when no words will come. Despite the fact that self-injury is far from rare, myths and misunderstanding surround this psychological ailment -- mistaken ideas that often result in self-harmers being treated badly by police, doctors, therapists, and emergency room personnel.

In response to society's mistaken ideas about self-harm, the American Self-Harm Information Clearinghouse was created to educate and inform medical and mental health professionals, the media, and the general public, sorting myth from fact and explaining what is known about self-harm. One of ASHIC's (American Self Harm Information Clearing House) major projects is National Self-Injury Awareness Day. In this grassroots effort, people across the country and the world whose lives have been affected by self-injury deliver fact sheets, reports, and brochures to those who make decisions about the treatment of those who self-harm. (Taken from http://www.selfinjury.org/nsiad/)


The first NSIAD was March 1, 2002. Many people continue to recognize it each year by wearing an orange ribbon or wrist band. As a self-injurer, I am impressed with this -- an organization seeking to educate people about self harm. Most people think it is similar to suicide attempt and that all self-injurers are suicidal. That is not the case. And, most self-injurers, when suicidal, are asked what their plan is, it doesn't involve cutting at all. Another misconception is that it's only for attention. For some that is the truth, but for most of us, it isn't. It is a cry for help, yes, but also a way of expressing pain that we cannot otherwise express. It is a coping mechanism (albeit a bad one). It is an addictive behavior just like alcoholism or drugs.

The misconception that angers me the most is saying that piercing and tattoos are self-injury. Self-injurers do not cut to show people. It is done in secret and we work very hard to hide it from the world. Piercings and tattoos are meant to be shown off. They are meant to make a statement. I have three tattoos and my tongue pierced. It is a completely different experience than when I cut.

That said, As of March 1, I have not self-injured in 7 months and 1 day. (As of this post, 7 months and 4 days--and still counting!) It has been a long hard road and the struggle is not over yet. I will be battling this for the rest of my life. Some days are harder than others, but because of my family and my friends, I have been able to overcome the urge to do it on many occasions.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Hey thar,
I found your blog from the TLL blog. I haven't quite figured that thing out yet; there's a whole lotta bloggin' goin' on over there with multiple bloggers and ads and all kinds of stuff.
Anyway, I like your blog, and I'm also a self-injurer. When someone finds out that I self-injure, they look at me like I ought to be in a psychiatric hospital right that very minute (and I have been in a psychiatric hospital, actually), so I feel like such an outcast. But then even within the self-injuring community, if you want to call it that, I don't fit in with the majority because I don't cut, I burn myself with cigarettes, which is not the usual way. Anyhoo, I haven't self-injured in a few months, so I am proud of that.
I'm looking for friends because Lord knows I need them; so if you want to take a look-see at my blog, please stop on by!